Blake Park: Brookline, Massachusetts
History of a Neighborhood, 1916-2005

The Houses and People of Blake Park


Click image for larger view

Directory of Houses &
About the Information
On These Pages

_____________________

Questions, Comments?
E-mail kliss@muddyriver.us

95 Welland Road

Year Built:
Permit Date:
1930
5/21/1930
Architect:
Linus Forster
Builder:
Burdo & Boyd
Cost to Build:
$14,000
Owner
(On Permit Date):
Burdo & Boyd, 123 Sutherland Road, Brighton
First Residents:
Janet L. & Walter J. Hamburger

One of 10 houses in Blake Park constructed by the builders Burdo & Boyd, including five in a row at this end of Welland Road, 95 Welland was the home at first to Walter and Janet Hamburger.

Walter Hamburger (1901-1982) was a textile chemist. He was later one of the founders of the Fabric Research Laboratories, a company focused on emerging textile technology and the development of synthetic textile materials. He and his wife Janet (1905-1983) were listed at this address from 1932 to 1938.

The next residents were George A. and Ruth D. Bernat who moved here, together with Ruth's mother Mollie W, Dane (1886-1984), from 83 Harvard Avenue. George Bernat was an executive with Garland Knitting Mills which he founded with his older brothers Eugene and Peter in 1937.

The Bernats' father had come to the U.S. with his wife and two older sons from Budapest, Hungary shortly before George, the youngest son, was born. The father, Emile, was a master dyer who came to the U.S. to restore medieval tapestries in museums in Baltimore, Boston, and New York, according to a 1966 profile of the Garland Knitting Mills in the New York Times.

George Bernat (1905-1994) was born in Massachusetts. He and his wife Ruth (1915-1979) were listed at this address from 1939 until the early 1950s.