for larger view
of Houses &
About the Information
On These Pages
Built (as barn):
to Blake estate:
1900 and 1907
Residents at this Address:
Stites & Helen Hodge (see below)
of the building now known as 8-10 Lowell Road are not entirely clear,
but the best evidence indicates it was once the carriage barn of
the family of Mary and Robert Sharp Davis on Cypress Place (now
the 1897 map at right, taken from the town atlas of that year, the
barn is the L-shaped building at lower left, just above the words
"Heirs of Mary S. Davis." The Davis house is to its right,
on Cypress Place.
Davis was a book publisher whose company produced many books used
in 19th century schools. He died in 1874, and his widow Mary died
shortly before the date of this map.
extending to the house from Washington Street is the beginning of
what would become Greenough Street, laid out a few years before
through land acquired by the Blake family the previous decade.
leading into the Blake estate from Washington Street and Cypress
Place can be seen at the top of the map.
the Town of Brookline laid out a new road from Washington Street
to Gorham Road. It followed the path of the road begun by the Blakes,
already known, unofficially, as Greenough Street, and then cut across
the Davis estate. The Davis house was either torn down or moved,
and the estate received $2,500 in compensation from the town. In
the map below, taken from the 1900 town atlas, the Davis house is
gone, and the newly extended Greenough Street crosses right in front
of the barn.
town atlas from 1907 (below) shows several changes. The Davis property
north of Greenough Street has been acquired by Frances Blake, except
the portion to the left which has been split off into two new parcels
and sold to other owners. Lowell Road has not yet been laid out,
but the future 8-10 Lowell Road is shown in its present location.
It appears, from the shape and angle of the building, to be the
Davis barn, minus the long ell and moved back from Greenough Street.
as 1911, various butlers and coachmen were shown in the Brookline
Street List as living "off Greenough," or on "Greenough
Street within," designations that seems to have been applied
to the Blake stables as well as to 8-10 and 12-14 Lowell before
that street was laid out. It's unclear how many of them might have
been living in what is now 8-10 Lowell.
the Blake chauffer, and Abbie Paige, a teacher, were listed at "off
Greenough" or "Greenough Street within" and then,
briefly, at 10 Lowell Road before reappearing at 55 & 57 Greenough
Street, a house that was moved from Lowell Road in 1921 or 1922.
See 55-57 Greenough Street for more
several years beginning in 1923 or '24, the residents of 8 Lowell
Road were Sara Stites and Helen Hodge. Sara Henry Stites (1877-1967)
was a professor of economics at Simmons College, where she began
teaching in 1912. She was acting dean of the college from 1921-1923
and later was chair of the division of social studies. A Pennsylvania
native, Stites graduated from Bryn Mawr in 1899 and earned an MA
there in 1900. After studying economics and geography at the Sorbonne
and the University of Leipzig in 1901 and 1902, she returned to
Bryn Mawr to complete a Ph.D. in 1904. Stites was the author of
a well-received book, published in 1905, on "Economics of the
Hodge (1877-????) was, like Stites, born in Pennsylvania in 1877
and graduated from Bryn Mawr (AB 1900, MA 1903.) (Both women were
also the daughters of ministers.) Stites and Hodge were co-principals
of a private school, the Wilkes Barre Institute in Pennsylvania,
from 1904 to 1912 when Stites began teaching at Simmons and they
moved to Massachusetts.
listed as a teacher in the 1920 U.S. Census, though no occupation
was listed in the 1930 Census or in the Brookline Street List. Stites
and Hodges may have been cousins. They shared the middle name "Henry"
which was the family name of Stites' mother.
had an adopted son, Francis Blanchard Henry Stites, whom she adopted
in 1923 when he was three-years old, around the time they moved
to Lowell Road. In a 1945 Bryn Mawr Alumnae Bulletin, Stites
noted how she had spoken, at her 25th class reunion some 20 years
before, of her experience as an unmarried mother. Her son, she reported
in the Bulletin, had just embarked on a career as an electrical
Henry were listed at this address in the Street List from 1924 through
1930. They later lived in Wayland, MA. The
1930 U.S. Census lists the residents as: Sara H. Stites, 52, teacher
(college); Helen H. Hodge, 52; and Francis B. Henry, 9.
No one was
listed at this address for three years after Stites and Hodges left.
There followed a succession of doctors and their families, none
of whom stayed for very long. They included:
Dr. Robert Fleming
and his wife Jean, listed in 1935.
Dr. Phillips Shambaugh
and his wife Sarah, listed 1936-37
Dr. Ashton Graybiel
and his wife Moira, listed 1938-1940. Ashton Graybiel was a
cardiologist and expert in aviation medicine. He later worked
with the U.S. space program, and as director of research for
the Naval School of Aviation Medicine was one of the physicians
who examined John Glenn after his historic 1962 flight into
Dr. Joseph Burchenal
and his wife Margaret, listed in 1941. Joseph Burchenal received
a fellowship to study cancer after World War II and later retired
as director of clinical investigation at Sloan Kettering Hospital
in New York.
After another gap, Edda
and R. Gordon Gould were listed at this address beginning in 1944.
Gordon Gould was in the army in 1944 and was listed as a teacher
For the residents of the other half of this house, see 10