for larger view
of Houses &
About the Information
On These Pages
Butterfield (E.S. Butterfield Co.)
(On Permit Date):
G. & Lewis N. Cushman
was one of three on Stanton Road built by Earl Butterfield. (He
also built 47 Greenough Street on the corner of Stanton.) These
were the first houses built on Stanton (formerly known as Cypress
Place) after it was extended across Greenough Street into the former
residents listed at this address in the Street List, although they
apparently were not the owners, were Claudia (born in Canada c1883
or 1890) and Lewis Newell Cushman (born in New Hampshirein 1865).
The Cushmans were in the real estate business. Brookline and U.S.
Census records do not show Claudia with an occupation at the time
the Cushmans lived here, but she had been involved with her husband's
business, based in Lowell, the previous decade. (See the ad below
from the 1915 Lowell City Directory.)
were listed at this address in the Street List from 1928 to 1931.
The 1930 U.S. Census listed the residents as: Lewis N. Cushman,
65, real estate broker, born New Hampshire; and Claudia G. Cushman,
40, born French Canada. (The 1920 Census showed Claudia as having
been born seven years earlier.) They were paying $125 a month in
residents, listed in the Street List from 1932 to 1935, were Oakley
C. and Emma M. Willis and their daughter Gladys E. Ferris. Oakley
Willis (1874-1946), born in Ohio, was listed as a superintendent
in the Street List.
family was followed for two years by Maurice and Lillian Knoring,
together with Lillian's mother Anna Gainsborg and one other person,
Ada Freaman, a buyer. Maurice (1896-1972) was listed as a jobber.
Maurice and Lillian (1893-1976) had a daughter, Shirley. Earl Lehnherr,
a doctor, and his wife Katherine, who moved here from Boston, were
listed next for one year (1938).
turnover at 70 Stanton ended, to some extent, with the next residents,
Henry G. and Sadie Segal. The Segals, who moved here from 59 Green
Street, were listed at this address from 1939 until the late 1940s.
Henry Segal (1891-1963) -- shown as Harry in the Street List --
was owner of a film exchange, possibly a motion picture distributor.
He and his wife Sadie had four children. Their oldest, Myron (1919-2000),
was in the Army from 1943-45. He was listed as a manager in the
1946 Street List, when his wife Natalie, formerly of Brighton, had
also joined the family on Stanton Road.