Blake Park: Brookline, Massachusetts
History of a Neighborhood, 1916-2005

The Houses and People of Blake Park


Click image for larger view

Directory of Houses &
About the Information
On These Pages

_____________________

Questions, Comments?
E-mail kliss@muddyriver.us

64 Welland Road

Year Built:
Permit Date:
1927
10/11/1927
Architect:
F.A. Britten
Builder:
R.F. Jenkins
Cost to Build:
$17,000
Owner
(On Permit Date):
R.F. Jenkins, 31 Orkney Road
First Residents:
Herman & Anna Chauncey

The builder of this house, R.F. Jenkins, also built 48 and 54 Welland Road, as well as 9 Greenough Street.

The first residents were Herman and Anna Chauncey and their family. Herman Chauncy (1896-1969) was a men's clothing manufacturer. He was the son of immigrants from Kiev. He and his wife Anna (1897-1993, born in Russia) moved to Welland Road from Watertown, and were listed here from 1930 to 1938. They later lived on St. Paul Street. The Chaunceys had three children.

The 1930 U.S. Census listed the residents as: Herman Chauncey, 38, manufacturer (men's clothing); Anna Chauncey, 33, born Russia; Helen S. Chauncey, 12; Dororthy R. Chauncey, 9; Norman Chauncey, 1; and Hattie Perrier, 21, maid, born Scotland.

The Chaunceys were followed at this address by Frederick T. O'Day with his sister, Elizabeth H. Duffy and her husband James V. Duffy. They moved here from 43 Boylston Street.

Frederick Thomas O'Day (born 1887) was the owner of a funeral home at 43 Boylston Street. (He and the Duffys lived at the same address before moving to Welland Road.) It was a family business, established in 1886.

James Duffy, born c1890, was an accountant with the Internal Revenue Service. He and Elizabeth O'Day (born c1889) were married around 1926. Members of the O'Day/Duffy family were listed at this address until the late 1950s.