Blake Park: Brookline, Massachusetts
History of a Neighborhood, 1916-2005

The Houses and People of Blake Park


Click image for larger view

Directory of Houses &
About the Information
On These Pages

_____________________

Questions, Comments?
E-mail kliss@muddyriver.us

47 Greenough Street

Year Built:
Permit Date:
1925
10/7/1925
Architect:
Albert Horn
Builder:
Earl S. Butterfield
Cost to Build:
$15,000
Owner
(On Permit Date):
Arthur Russell, Boston
First Residents:
 Alfred E. & Sadie A. Long

This house, one of three built on Greenough Street in 1925, was the home initially of Alfred and Sadie Long, proprietors of a towel supply business. Alfred, born in England in 1862 or 1863, came to the United States in 1907. Sadie was his second wife. They had a daughter, Alice. The Longs were listed at this address in the Street List from 1928 to 1939.

The 1930 U.S. Census showed the residents as: Alfred E. Long, 68, manager (towel supplies), born England; Sadie A. Long, 54, proprieter (towel supplies); and their daughter Alice M. Long, 12. The house was valued at $19,000.

The next owners were Conrad and Myrtle Granath, who moved here from Boston and were listed in the Street List until 1943. Conrad (1896-1979) was born in Sweden and came to the U.S. in 1921. His occupation was shown in the Street List as an embalmer at first, and then as a manufacturer. Myrtle (1894-1973), who was born in Rhode Island, was listed as owner of an employment agency in the 1930 Census, but the Street List listed her as a housewife.

Following the Granaths in this house were Ida and Samuel Harris who moved here from Boston. Both were born in Russia, Samuel coming to the U.S. in 1903 and Ida in 1913. Samuel was a lawyer. They had a daughter, Harriet.

Earl S. Butterfield, the builder of this house, also built three houses around the corner on Stanton Road in 1925.