Blake Park: Brookline, Massachusetts
History of a Neighborhood, 1916-2005

The Houses and People of Blake Park


Click image for larger view

Directory of Houses &
About the Information
On These Pages

_____________________

Questions, Comments?
E-mail kliss@muddyriver.us

42 Lowell Road

Year Built:
Permit Date:
1929
4/6/1929
Architect:
Royal Barry Wills
Builder:
Maurice A. Dunlavy
Cost to Build:
$22,000
Owner
(On Permit Date):
Maurice A. Dunlavy
First Residents:
William M. & Leona E. Bartlett

This house, like all of the houses on Lowell Road with the exception of the pre-development 8-10 and 12-14 Lowell, was built by Maurice Dunlavy and designed by Royal Barry Wills.

William M. Bartlett (1881-1967), manager of a literature distribution company, and his wife Leona (born c1881) were the first owners of this house, one of the last two built on Lowell Road. Leona's mother, Leona E. Bacon (born c1860) also lived with them.

The 1930 U.S. Census listed the residents as: William M. Bartlett, 49, manager literature distribution), born Connecticut; Leona E. Bartlett, 49, born Connecticut; and Leona E. Bacon, 70, mother-in-law, born Connecticut. The house was valued at $20,000.

The Bacons and Bartlett were listed at this address in the Street List from 1930 to 1942.

Next at 42 Lowell was the family of Benjamin and Frances E. Nigrosh who lived here until the early 1960s. Benjamin Nigrosh (1901-1997) was born in Warsaw, Poland and came to the United States at the age of 2. He followed his grandfather and father into the box manufacturing business and ran the Paris Box Company for more than 60 years until his retirement in 1980

Nigrosh was also one of the original members of Brandeis Associates, established in 1948 by a group of men who served as fund-raisers and "foster alumni" of Brandeis University before there was a graduating class. Frances Nigrosh (1900-1993) was a philanthropist and hospital volunteer.