Blake Park: Brookline, Massachusetts
History of a Neighborhood, 1916-2005

The Houses and People of Blake Park


Click image for larger view

Directory of Houses &
About the Information
On These Pages

_____________________

Questions, Comments?
E-mail kliss@muddyriver.us

26 Welland Road

Year Built:
Permit Date:
1928
6/29/1928
Architect:
None listed
Builder:
W.J. Macdoff
Cost to Build:
$15,000
Owner
(On Permit Date):
Ralph H. Goodwin, 120 Sewall Avenue
First Residents:
Ralph H. & Marion H. Goodwin

The first residents of this house, the Goodwin family, were listed at this address in the Street List from 1929 to 1932. Ralph H. Goodwin (born c1888) was in the insurance business. He and his wife Marion (born c1892) had one daughter.

The 1930 U.S. Census listed the residents as: Ralph H. Goodwin, 42, assistant manager, fire insurance; Marion H. Goodwin, 35, born Connecticut; Jane H. Goodwin, 6, born Rhode Island; and Harriett Bradford, 25, maid.

Following the Goodwins were Rose L. and Samuel E. Berman, who were listed here from 1933 to 1936. Samuel (born 1889) was a leather merchant and Rose (born c1889) was a shoe salesperson. They had four children. Harry and Sarah Cooper were next, listed in 1937 and 1938. Harry (born in Russia c1892) was in the wool business. They moved from this house to another Blake Park house at 65 Blake Road.

Frances G. and Morris (or Maurice) L. Cooper were next. It's unclear if they were related to Harry and Sarah Cooper. Morris Cooper(1891-1972?) was born in Lithuania and came to the U.S. in 1899. He was listed as president of a wholesale leather company in the 1930 Census when the family lived in Boston. He and Frances (born in Lithuania c1897, came to the U.S. in 1901) had three sons. All three were in the service during World War II, Arthur and Michael in the Army and David in the Marines.

David joined the family business, a maker of textiles for the shoe industry (later known as Bennet, Goding, & Cooper), after the war and eventually became president. (His brothers may have been involved with the business, as well.)

26 Welland remained in the Cooper family until the early 1970s.