Blake Park: Brookline, Massachusetts
History of a Neighborhood, 1916-2005

The Houses and People of Blake Park


Click image for larger view

Directory of Houses &
About the Information
On These Pages

_____________________

Questions, Comments?
E-mail kliss@muddyriver.us

21 Somerset Road

Year Built:
Permit Date:
1936
9/5/1936
Architect:
C.C. Crowell
Builder:
Paul Livoli, 302 Arlington Street
Cost to Build:
$12,500
Owner
(On Permit Date):
James McInerney
First Residents:
James H. & Elizabeth M. McInerney

Built in 1936, this house was a late addition to this section of Somerset Road. (All of the other houses on the street between Greenough and Welland were built between 1926 and 1930. The section of Somerset Road across Welland wasn't laid out until after Frances Blake's death in 1939.)

The first residents of this house, the McInerney family, lived here until the early 1970s. James McInerney (1887-1967) was a broker, according to the street list (a grocery broker in the 1930 U.S. Census, when the family lived on Chestnut Street in Brookline.) He and his wife Elizabeth (1890-1979?) had three sons and a daughter. Two of the sons were in the Navy during World War II, and the third worked in a shipyard.

Also living with the family, at least until the end of the war and possibly longer, was Elizabeth McInerney's brother William F. McPhail, a salesman (born c1892). The McPhails had grown up in Brookline where their father, born in Canada, was at one time a blacksmith at the town barn and also worked at the Country Club, possibly as a gardner.